My workers comp claim has been denied, what do I do? Do I have to hire a lawyer?

If your claim has been denied, you can appeal the insurance carrier’s decision to the Montana Department of Labor and Industry (DLI). Under Montana law, the DLI has jurisdiction over workers compensation disputes until a mediator from the DLI has rendered his or her recommendation.

A claim cannot be filed with the Workers Compensation Court until this process has been completed. You do not have to have a lawyer to complete the mediation process. The mediator’s recommendation is not binding and merely begins the process of a worker’s compensation claim.