What do I do if I cannot return to the same type of work I was doing when I was injured?

Injured workers in Montana may be eligible for Permanent Partial Disability (PPD) benefits under Section 39-71-703, MCA and vocational benefits under Section 39-71-1003, MCA. There are certain criteria that must be met before the claimant is eligible for benefits under these statutes. To be eligible for benefits under Section 39-71-703, MCA, an injured worker must show that he or she is unable to return to the time of injury job and has realized an actual wage loss, and suffered an injury qualifying for an impairment rating. An injured worker who meets these criteria will be eligible for either wage loss compensation of less than $2 per hour or wage loss compensation greater than $2 per hour. Once these criteria are determined, a claimant’s entitlement to compensation can be figured using a formula which considers the impairment rating, amount of wage loss, and lifting restrictions. These benefits can be paid out on a bi-weekly basis or in a lump sum.